Banfield Pet Hospital Veterinary Assistant in Schenectady, New York
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The Veterinary Assistant supports the veterinarians and veterinary technicians in ensuring quality veterinary care for all pets, advocates for pets, educates clients on all aspects of pet health, and ensures a safe and effective hospital environment.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
A ct as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian and veterinary technician to ensure the best quality pet care . Communicate with veterinarian, veterinary technicians and all other associates to maintain the flow of patients.
Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times.
Educate clients about preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services and other issues.
Obtain relevant information and history from clients and maintain proper and complete medical charts.
Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
Assist with surgery as applicable.
Utilize technical skills to the fullest, within state practice acts and as outlined in the NAVTA guidelines for veterinary assistant skills and duties.
• Action Oriented
• Listening Skills
• Communication Skills
• Client Service Skills
• Priority Setting
• Time Management
• Ability to multi-task
• Communication skills
• Organizational ability
• Problem solving skills
• Computer skills
• Ensure medical quality
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
• Ability to be confident around pets
• This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
• The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Must be at least 18 years old to perform duties.
• Experience in customer service preferred.
• Medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) with medical terminology training is preferred.