VCA Animal Hospitals Hospital Manager II in Plainfield, Indiana
Company Info: VCA Inc. owns, operates, and manages the largest network of freestanding veterinary hospitals and veterinary clinical reference laboratories in North America, with over 1000 hospitals located in the U.S. states and Canada, and more than 55 clinical laboratories. VCA is also a leading supplier of diagnostic imaging equipment to the veterinary industry, as well as operating a franchisor of premier dog daycare facilities.
If you are a current employee, you need to apply through our internal career site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on the landing page or search for Find Jobs. You can also copy the link below into a browser to apply through our internal career site:
VCA Animal Hospital of Plainfield is a General Practice in Plainfield, Indiana.
Position Title: Hospital Manager
Reports To: Field Manager
Department: Hospital Management - Operations
Employee Status: Exempt
Under policy direction from the Field Manager with support of and input from Medical Director,
the Hospital Manager performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities
related to hospitals providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of
finances and accounting, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and human resources,
and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Customer service.
• Personnel management.
• Financial budget management.
• Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral, goal oriented.
• Background in managing service oriented operations.
• Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
• Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that
which is credible and assess the hospital and its operation objectively.
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an
environment of changing priorities.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma. Some college education preferred.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in medical care facility operations
management with profit and loss responsibility.
• Budget management experience.
• Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
• Human resource skills.
• Training and client relations experience.
• Thorough knowledge of the veterinary profession.
• Interview prospective employees.
• Hire, train, review, schedule discipline, and discharge employees.
• Can spend up to $200/month without authorization.
• Can transfer employees to work another position within the hospital.
• Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget
• Dependable attendance is required.
• Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
• This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a
minimum 8-hour day.
• Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognizes people and understands
• Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over
• Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment such as facsimile machines,
computers, copiers and hospital equipment such as laboratory equipment, radiology
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and
additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job
Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospitals.
• Hiring with appropriate references.
• Staff performance and salary reviews.
• Disciplinary Action.
• Training, education, developing of staff.
• Assign job responsibility to each staff member.
• Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
• Employee policy enforcement.
• Employee relations and communications.
• Payroll calculations, goal calculations, time clock maintenance.
• Organize and conduct staff meetings.
• Delegate tasks as needed to staff members.
• Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
• Oversees training of all staff in accordance to the principals of the VCA Mission
Statement, Three Steps Of Service and VCA Standards of Client Service and that the
above is known and practiced by all.
• Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a
professional, timely and competent manner.
• Responsible for administration and review of non-medical client complaints.
• Oversee call back system including overdue reminder calls.
• Oversee collections and returned checks.
• Oversee billing, calculation of any discounts and other special accounts.
• Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients,
patients, the practice and employees (i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use
• Verify receipt of all supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and send them in
for payment to corporate.
• Monitor purchasing.
• Prepare packets of information to be sent to the corporate office.
• Sort and process the daily mail.
• Management feedback reports - bi-weekly.
• Perform transaction corrections.
• Make certain bank deposits are made daily.
• Ensure that all hospital logs are being kept up to date and accurate including
anesthesia/surgery, radiology and controlled substance logs.
• Ensure that the OSHA and Safety program, procedures and reporting are being
continuously monitored and updated so the hospital is in safety compliance.
• Meet with the Medical Director and Regional Medical Director and/or Regional
Operations Director (District Manager or Area Supervisor) regularly to discuss evaluate
and plan for the welfare of the practice.
• Ensure that marketing events are effective - internal and external.
• Motivate staff.
• Check all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
• Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
• Monitor staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
• Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
• Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues
and hospital contribution.
• Meet regularly with the veterinary staff to review financial performance.
• Oversee petty cash control.
• Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
• Responsible for cash control in hospital ensuring VCA standards are followed.
• Review accounts receivable to confirm proper and timely process.
• Understand, participate and support planned marketing events and programs.
• Ensure that the hospital staff utilizes the marketing tools and materials to be used in the
marketing events and programs.
• Ensure that the hospital staff follows instructions for implementing authorized marketing
discounts in the computer system.
• Oversee the maintenance/housekeeping of the hospital for orderliness and cleanliness
of both the inside and outside of the building.
• Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
• Oversee that the VCA safety procedures are implemented and followed.
• Oversee facility and equipment maintenance and repairs, keeping a repair log.
• Authorized to make repair decisions less than $200 without checking with the District
Manager or Area Supervisor.
• Attends regional meetings.
• Schedule regular doctors meetings.
• Plan hospital management meetings.
• Organize monthly staff meeting agenda in conjunction with hospital management team
and VCA guidelines.
• Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
• Ensure that VCA policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to
hospital staff and adequate training follows.
If you are a current associate, you need to apply through our internal career site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on the landing page or search for Find Jobs.
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet discounts and more!
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, change in personnel, workload, or technical development)
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans / Disabled. For a complete EEO statement please see our career page at vcacareers.com