Banfield Pet Hospital NextVet™ Intern - Chicago Area (Chicago, IL & Naperville, IL) in Naperville, Illinois
NextVet™ Internships Now Available at Banfield!
We are excited to open this opportunity to students ages 16+.
Eligible applicants must be located in our Chicago South market, able to commute to either our Chicago South Loop hospital (Chicago, IL) or Plainfield Naperville hospital (Plainfield, IL).
Pay: $15.80 hourly
About Banfield’s NextVet™ Internship Program
As a NextVet™ intern, you’ll spend most of your time behind-the scenes in one of our veterinary hospitals, where you’ll see our team in action and have an opportunity to shadow a range of positions including veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians.
You’ll also participate virtually in small group sessions exploring many aspects of the veterinary industry, receive ongoing support from our local doctors and market leaders, and have a chance to connect with Banfield senior executives. This is a temporary, part-time position with flexible hours.
This is a 6-to-10-week summer internship with a time commitment of approximately 3 hours per day/15 hours per week.
• Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
• Internship will be a combination of time spent working at a Banfield hospital, engaging in virtual learning, and connecting with leaders and Associates across the business. The ratio will be split as follows: 90% in hospital, 10% virtual learnings and connecting with leaders and Associates.
• Under the guidance and supervision of doctors and other veterinary professionals, observe activities such as, but not limited to, proper animal handling techniques, setting up for surgical procedures, transcribing medical notes, preparing routine in-house laboratory tests, and assisting with routine physical examinations while working at a Banfield hospital. NextVet™ interns may directly participate in such activities at the discretion of their Practice Manager if deemed safe and appropriate and as allowed by federal and local rules and regulations.
•Engage in virtual group sessions with other interns, and with guest speakers on industry topics, professional development, and practice initiatives.
•Opportunity to connect with Banfield senior executives, veterinarians, and Associates from different areas of the business.
• Share learnings and experiences to help inform practice priorities.
Five Principles of Mars, Inc.
• Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
• Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
• Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
• Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
• Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
Special Working Conditions
• Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
• Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
• The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
• Environment where pets are present.
Education & Professional Qualification
Must be enrolled in high school, college or university, or equivalent program, and have an interest in a career working with animals.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.